Monday, December 19, 2011

ICON - Night Of The Crime [Rock Candy 2005 remaster] (1985)

ICON - Night Of The Crime [Rock Candy 2005 remaster] (1985)

ICON - Night Of The Crime [Rock Candy 2005 remaster] back
Requested in "Request & Fill Corner" section...

ICON's "Night Of The Crime" is a cult classic album, rated as one of the best rockin' AOR / Melodic Hard Rock albums of all time in an early Kerrang Magazine survey.
And I can only agree. In fact, this is my favourite album of ALL times.
Yes, there's many magnificent and/or groundbreaking recordings in rock history, but being myself particularly fan of the AOR/MR/HR genres, "Night Of The Crime" is a goldmine, in all aspects.

First of all, comprises like-no-other in one single disc all these 80's musical styles with class. Icon were many steps above than the rest in their songwriting abilities, helped here by the talented Bob Halligan Jr. who co-wrote no less than six of the ten songs on the album.
You have stunning AOR rockers with massive keyboards such as "Naked Eyes", "Missing" or the awesome mid-tempo "Frozen Tears".
If you want lush melodic rockers check out the irresistible "Danger Calling", "Shot At My Heart" or "Raise The Hammer".
And there's more; "Hungry For Love" is a melodic+hard gem, "Out For Blood" is pure double-lead guitar American eighties Hard Rock, the 'hair' style is covered on "Hungry For Love" and on the superb (just perfect) "The Whites Of Their Eyes". Even the 'arena rock anthem' is represented with "Rock My Radio".
"Night Of The Crime" is a perfect compendium of all these sub-genres that ruled the middle of the glorious decade.

Second reason; the musicianship is out of this world.
Vocalist Stephen Clifford has a dynamic, powerful range reaching impossible octaves, the bass is fat, round and precise, Pat Dixon's drumming agile & smashing (both contribute to the excellent harmony vocal arrangements) and John Aquilino's lead guitars are melodic yet punchy, with a rich tone.
But the 'brain' of this exciting band is the skillful Dan Wexler. This underrated musician is the orchestrator here; his guitar riffs, sublime keyboards and the great use of the synth guitar (unusual in this kind of material) are the foundation of the band's style.
Discovered by Alice Cooper (who helped to get Icon's signed by Capitol Rec.) while he was still in high school in Arizona and playing in the first incarnation of the band (The Schoolboys), Dan has played, written and arranged songs anonymously for many major acts during the 80's & 90's.

An then you have another remarkable aspect: this is how a rock album SHOULD SOUND.
Produced by legend Eddie Kramer (Kiss, Hendrix, Beatles) who has provided a polished, glazed, brilliant sound, and mixed & engineered by the best of all times: Mr. Ron Nevison (Survivor, Led Zeppelin, Heart, Damn Yankees), "Night Of The Crime" is sound-wise, one of the best representation of the eighties (again).

Still remember when I bought the cassette at the end of '85. Incredibly, it was released in my country (at a time when anything metal-related was ignored here) attracted by the cover artwork.
After the first listen I was in Heaven with my jaw hanging. Immediately bought the vinyl, then the CD a couple years after. Of course the Axe Killer (a small French label) 2000's re-edition as well and finally the superb Rock Candy remaster.
That's why I am posting this diamond here, as many people are asking if this final edition worth the purchase. The answer is definitively Yes!
The Rock Candy edition was 'really' remastered from the master tapes with a sharper, perfectly balanced sound, really close to the warm vinyl harmonics.
Seems it has become pretty scarce now, so if you find it at a fair price go and get it with your eyes closed.

I never rate an album or the artistic talent of a band/musician (who I am to do it), just like it or not.
This time, I'll take a little license; "Night Of The Crime" is a 10/10.
Essential.


01 - Naked Eyes
02 - Missing
03 - Danger Calling
04 - Shot At My Heart
05 - Out For Blood
06 - Raise The Hammer
07 - Frozen Tears
08 - The Whites Of Their Eyes
09 - Hungry For Love
10 - Rock My Radio


Stephen Clifford - Vocals
John Aquilino - Guitars
Dan Wexler - Guitars, Keyboards, Synth Guitar
Tracy Wallach - Bass, Backing Vocals
Pat Dixon - Drums, Percussion, Backing Vocals





RE-POSTED HERE
.

11 Comments:

troynew said...

Ha, you'll never convince me that 'Night Of The Crime' is as good as you say it is, but kudos for your valid and eloquent attempt to win over those who are still on the fence about it. :oP
I'm quite happy with the way my original Japanese cd release sounds by the way, but I wouldn't mind hearing whether Rock Candy have managed to outdo their counterparts from far across the pond.

Anonymous said...

Was wondering if the japanese edition has any bonuses??Troy???

And many thanks Camel...
Rock on!!!

troynew said...

No such luck. Just the same 10 songs by the looks of it.

RaisedOnRadio said...

Thanks for uploading this for me, It has to be in my top 20 favourites of all time it sounds like no other AOR/Melodic Rock album from the 80s and ive heard all of them!

F1aco said...

Nice blog, Im from Argentina and I have a new blog too. Mine deals exclusively with contemporary rock and previous decades.

If you want, contact me, and exchange links.

My blog is http://lot-of-rocck.blogspot.com/

I hope your answer!

regards

sander said...

good enthousiastic review. Not my all time favorite, but nice one anyway. Absolutely worth buying!

DEEMON said...

This is the album I heard most in my life!! Fantastic...100/100

troynew said...

Must be a South American thing to be in love with this album.

beholder said...

Wow, what an enthusiastic review - and mostly I agrees, too! One of my top 10 Albums of all time for sure and I discovered it in 1985, too. But I save most superlatives for another 1985 release: Tobruk - Wild On The Run

KiddWikkid said...

Any chance of getting this uploaded to a site that doesn't require a password?

David Lourey - Nightmare 80s said...

Você ainda tem a mesma opinião sobre esse disco?