Tuesday, December 01, 2009

SEPTEMBER - Lines Are Falling (1984)


SEPTEMBER was a project of the Kirkland brothers Dale, Russ & Doug, all from a Christian family, that's why this band has a CCM background (CCM=Contemporary Christian Music).
But don't be scared if you're not religious, song lyrics are cool and the music is a wimpy and nice Lite AOR / Melodic pop-rock.

Lead vocals are shared between the bros, alternating their roles song by song.
This is their 3rd album, and overall sounds like classic commercial early 80's AOR bands.
The opener "Lines are falling" is a clear example of the above mentioned, a good female fronted AOR rocker that reminds me TANE CAIN solo album, while "Ready to live" is a beautiful candy-floss keyboard driven song with pounding drums.

Side B of this album only released on vinyl is better in my opinion.
Starts with "Never never", reminds me T. CAIN again, especially the vocal intonation and the amazing synths [Prophet 5].
"Somethin's comin" has a very good old style guitar playin' in charge of Scott Payne (lead guitars). Check this out... good pickin' !
But my definitive favorite here (altough all tracks are good) is "Hold your ground"... awesome song! Think PAUL DELPH + BENNY MARDONES and you got it, really good electric piano [Rhodes] playing too.

This record was requested by a reader in the 'REQUEST & FILL CORNER 2' section (NorthSwede this is for you!) and I had forgotten how good it is, long time no listening.
So I've decided to clean up the vinyl scratchs & clicks, and now sounds really, really good.
A true rarity (and a good one), hard to find, even between CCM collectors.
Don't miss it...


01 - Lines Are Falling
02 - Too Little Time
03 - Ready To Live
04 - Calling For You
05 - Night Song
06 - Never Never
07 - Somethin's Comin'
08 - You Don't Love Me
09 - Hold Your Ground
10 - Far From There


Dale Kirkland - Lead vocals, Percussion
Russ Kirkland - Lead vocals, Synth, Electric Piano
Scott Payne - Guitar
Chuck Kofahl - Guitar
Jim Bullard - Bass
Carl Albrecht - Drums


SEPTEMBER - Lines Are Falling
.

14 Comments:

NorthSwede said...

Finally I get to hear it! I can thank you enough camelblue, this one has been on my wantlist since I can't remember when! Truly amazing stuff you've got hidden in your drawers...er, folders?!?
Keep on doing your great work to spread the word of good music - you rock!!!

Thiago said...

Great post, Camelblue!

Thanks for this jewell.

Anonymous said...

Their lp "Dreams & Lesson" Sugar SRJ-871, is their best AOR rocker. Check it out

Cheers, Mark

Camelblue said...

@ Mark:
Agree, "Dreams & Lesson" is their best.

StevieD said...

Great band, just one thing, you say Dale and Russ are brothers, but Dale was the sister, not a brother. She's the one in the center. Also, there first album (September First) was also amazing. The song Jester was so ahead of its time.

Camelblue said...

Link updated

Rocker chick said...

Can someone tell how to contact Russ . He produced the Arsenal Cd and I have a

Rocker chick said...

I have a ? To ask

CJ said...

Camelblue, Can you refer me to the link for Dreams and Lessons? I have September First on vinyl and I love it. I listen to it all the time. I really want to hear Dreams and Lessons. Thank you very much!

Camelblue said...

@ cJ:
I have a bootleg CD of "Dreams & Lessons" (never officially on CD). Stay tuned, coming soon.

j kirkland said...

my dad is russ and if you guys are interested i have all the albums digitally.

i'd be happy to share.

i'll pass this on to my dad.

he's been battling parkinson's for over 20 years and even though he's had DBS surgery it's still so hard for him to play music. i'm sure your comments mean the world to him.

Camelblue said...

@ j kirkland:
So sad to read that. Feel free to share anything you want here -
The best for you and your family.

matt kirkland said...

ALSO! We're slowly digging up digital versions of the September albums and putting them online, in case you'd still like to support the artists.

http://septembermusic.bandcamp.com/

Camelblue said...

Great news. I will purchase some stuff for sure.